I've moved my blog to jmcneil.net. This is no longer being updated!

Friday, April 18, 2008

Post #1!

Well, this is it. I've done it. I've finally entered the technical blogosphere.  More specifically, the software-engineering-using-Python-in-an-Agile-setting blogosphere.   I'm preparing to step back into the world of Internet services after a brief hiatus.  Lots of stuff to do, technologies to implement, and problems to fix.  Sounds like a perfect time to start a new blog. 

So, who am I and why do I matter?  I'm not certain I can answer that second part, but I'd be more than happy to share some of my qualifications: Experience, and some experience. 

I've spent about ten years in the web hosting industry.  I've watched my company start, grow, IPO, acquire, and eventually get acquired.  I've done everything from purchase servers and operate disk arrays to develop large-scale systems using the Python programming language.  Always Linux (except for that time when I was younger and did some of that FreeBSD stuff...).

I have a very deep interest in Python specifically.  Unless dictated by standard or convention,  all of the work I've done for the past 3-4 years has been done in Python. Provisioning systems, account utilities, test suites, web UI's (which look terrible -- never let a programmer create a UI). All Python.  I sometimes say that I actually think in Python.

That's it for the obligatory introductory post. More to come. 

No comments: